This role is responsible for all aspects of NPI mechanical design throughout the product development lifecycle (from concept through to volume manufacture and support) working as part of a multi-disciplinary project team developing world-class instruments and systems.
ENVEA are always searching for people who want to continuously improve, take on complex new challenges and adopt our customer-orientated approach. Successful candidates will benefit from a permanent hands-on role in a busy, innovative environment that is consistently growing. You can take advantage of a competitive salary package, an Employee Assistance Program, 27 days annual leave, income protection, life assurance and many other site related benefits such as a cycle to work scheme, canteen privileges and more.
Reports to: NPI Manager
- NPI engineering activities working within a phase-gate product development process.
- Part of the NPI team, with joint responsibility and ownership for the success of engineered, quality products.
- Implementation of design for manufacture methodologies.
- Creation of 3D CAD designs and drawings from concepts to full production (Solidworks)
- ERP data entry (Sage X3)
- Generate and communicate clear and detailed plans with the NPI team for product design, improvement tasks and actions.
- Visit customer sites to understand the use of instruments in real application conditions.
- Visit existing and new suppliers to confirm and develop new components and products.
- Participate in the prototype build and test of components, sub-assemblies, and systems.
- Internal: NPI team, Project Lead, Operations, Sales, Marketing, Product Management, Engineering, and Service & Support.
- External: Customers, suppliers, design agencies, test houses, and approval bodies.
Qualifications and Experience
- Demonstrate appropriate knowledge of materials selection, temperature stability and fluid mechanics for the areas of instrument application.
- Proven portfolio of designs where value engineering has been applied to maximize functionality for low part count and therefore low cost, without compromising serviceability and quality of performance.
- Degree qualified or HNC Mechanical Engineering.
- Ideally 10+ years design engineering experience in similar roles.
- Knowledge of fluid mechanics, optics, and an awareness of electronics and software.
- Product development background using a 3D CAD system experienced in working with a wider range of technologies required for developing instruments.
- Over 5 years of creating and developing measuring instruments and systems (ideally for aggressive industrial plant environments).
- Hands on development of measurement instruments utilizing expertise in all aspects of mechanical design.
- Practical application of Fluid Mechanics theory including Computational Fluid Dynamics and Finite Element Analysis.
- A track record in optimising/improving existing instruments to become best in class in their respective field.
- Experienced in delivery of focused commercial projects and full responsibility for the mechanical design function.
- Practiced in common Product Development Techniques – DFMEA, risk assessment, design reviews, accelerated life testing, etc.
- New product development/introduction gate process covering the full life cycle.
- High level of capability in 3D CAD systems preferably Solidworks with PDM experience.
- Proven skills in life and stress testing of mechanical systems.
- A participative and proactive project team member able to work individually or as part of a team.
- Inquiring, curious and passionate about product development and bringing the best possible solution to market.
- Enjoy hands-on aspects of developing complete, innovative, and cost-effective sensor instruments.
- Understanding of the other disciplines involved in electro-mechanical product Development (Electronics, software, logistics, etc.)
- Positive and self-motivated individual with a passion to achieve personal and team objectives and deliverables.
- A problem solver, not afraid to challenge the status quo but with the commitment to see projects through to completion; will have a strong desire to succeed.
- Excellent written and verbal communications.
- An open and communicative manner, able to inspire respect of colleagues and contribute to engineering excellence on a hands-on basis through technical contributions and interpersonal skills.
- Well organised, with good planning and estimation skills, but flexible and adaptable to situations.
- Attention to detail, with strong analytical and conceptual skills, capable of making a case clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Willingness to work at height at industrial sites within prescribed safety procedures is essential and full training will be given.
- Empathy with the mission, vision, values, and ethos of the company.
- Results oriented with a positive outlook.
- Flexible can-do attitude.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Good time management and an ability to effectively prioritise tasks.
- Good self-discipline, demonstrating reliability, dependability, and tenacity.
- Show commitment to problem resolutions using critical thinking.
- Attention to detail.
- Logical and creative thinker
- Keen to learn and apply knowledge
- Passionate for high levels of customer service leading to customer respect and trust.
- Resilience; thrives in a high-pressure environment.
- Able to record and communicate technical and project issues to a range of stake holders.
- An independent interest in technology.
- Ability to alternate attention between high-level project objectives and detailed design considerations.
The role is based in Swavesey, Cambridgeshire. Occasional travel may be required to perform duties.
Right To Work
Applications are open to all British Passport holders, people with a legal right to stay in the UK and overseas workers with the correct work status for the UK.
Please check here for eligibility https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas